The Muncie Youth Leadership Program
Learning to Lead
We want students to discover their leadership skills, learn new skills, and lead each other. We have develop a program for students to explore proven leadership practices while working in a group to identify a social issue that is prevalent on their school campus and/or Muncie community.
We have enrolled 15 motivated Muncie Central and 15 motivated students Burris Laboratory School.
Students will attend a retreat, multiple group project sessions and workshops in which the theme of group leadership will be discussed. Students will work to complete a group service project over the course of a year of two semester. Students will also be given the opportunity to participate in a leadership experience over the summer.
The goal of this course is to explore the dynamics of leading groups. Through experiential learning, students will gain insight on the relevance of what it means to be a leader on campus and the surrounding community of Muncie. In this two semester experience, students will be placed into a group that includes students from both schools.
In the spring students will be asked to create a proposal for a problem you want to solve.
In the fall student groups will come together to actually solve the problem and then report on your success.
The program will finish in December with a reception for students and their families.
- Saturday, January 12th – Leadership Retreat and Community Tour – 9:00am – 3:00pm
- Monday, January 14th – Learning About You – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, January 28th – Discovering Issues – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, February 4th – Setting Expectations & Sharing Issues – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, February 11th – Conflict and Selecting Your Issue – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, February 25th – Pitch Your Issue – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, March 11th – Mission Statement and Project Goals – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Saturday, March 16th – Rescheduled Bus Tour of Muncie – 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Monday, March 18th – Utilizing Your Resources – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, April 1st – To-Do’s and Timelines – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, April 8th – Group worknight – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, April 15th – Pitch Proposal – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Friday June 7 & 8th at Camp Tecumseh.
- Thursday, September 5th – Camp Adventure Field Trip 8:30am – 3:05pm
- Monday, September 9th – Bus Tour of Muncie – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, September 16th – Model the Way – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, September 23rd – Group Work Night – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, September 30th – Challenge the Process – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, October 14th – Group Work Night – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, October 21st – Inspire a Shared Vision & Enable Others to Act – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, October 28th – Group Work Night – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, November 4th – Encourage the Heart – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, November 11th – Presentations – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, November 18th – Recognition Reception – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Who’s In Charge?
This pilot program is a collaboration between Ball State University Teachers College, Muncie Central, Muncie Burris, and Shafer Leadership Academy. Muncie Central Social Studies Teacher Mr. Drew Shermata and Muncie Burris Science Teacher Mrs. Amy Miller along with Shafer Leadership Academy Executive Director Mitch Isaacs serve as the staff team.