Learning to Lead
The goal of this program is to explore the dynamics of leading groups. Through experiential learning, students will gain insight on the relevance of what it means to be a leader on campus and the surrounding community of Muncie. In this two semester experience, students will be placed into a group that includes students from two local schools. We will accept 10 Muncie Central students, 10 Indiana Academy students and 10 Burris Laboratory School students.
- Discover their leadership skills, learn new skills, and lead each other.
- Explore proven leadership practices while working in a group to identify a social issue that is prevalent on their school campus and/or Muncie community.
- Attend a retreat, multiple group project sessions and workshops in which the theme of group leadership will be discussed.
- Work to complete a group service project over the course of an academic year.
- Make friends and have fun!
In the fall students will be asked to create a proposal for a problem you want to solve. In the spring student groups will come together to actually solve the problem and then report on their success.
Click here to see a recap of last year’s program.
Most meetings will take place at the Innovation Connector (1208 W White River Blvd), with three meetings hosted at the Ball State University Student Center, Cardinal Hall.
Light snacks will be provided during every in person meeting. Lunch will be provided during the Opening Retreat.
The program begins in September 2023 and concludes April 2024 with a reception for students and their families.
Friday, January 26th – Teambuilding Field Trip to Twisted Room Escapes (Indianapolis)
- 8:30 am: Bus picks up students (and Mitch) from Burris
- 8:50 am: Bus picks up students from Central – front of the building
- 10:30 am: Bus arrives at Twisted Room Escapes
- 10:45 am: Escape Room activities
- 12:00 pm: Lunch and second semester review
- 1:00 pm: Bus leaves for Muncie
- 2:30 pm: Bus drops students off at Central
- 2:45 pm: Bus drops students off at Burris
Monday, January 29th – Model the Way – at the Innovation Connector
Monday, February 5th – Inspire a Shared Vision – at the Ball State Student Center, Cardinal Hall
Monday, February 12th- Group Work Night- at the Innovation Connector
Monday, February 19th – Challenge the Process- at the Innovation Connector
Monday, February 26th– Group Work Night- at the Ball State Student Center, Cardinal Hall
Monday, March 11th – Enable Others to Act- at the Innovation Connector
Monday, March 18th- Encourage the Heart- at Ball State Student Center, Cardinal Hall
Monday, April 1st – Group Work Night- at the Innovation Connector
Monday, April 8th – Presentations- at the Ball State Student Center, Cardinal Hall
Monday, April 15th – Recognition Reception at the North Church Venue
Who’s In Charge?
This program is a collaboration between Ball State University Teachers College, Muncie Central, Muncie Burris, and Shafer Leadership Academy.
Muncie Central Social Studies Teacher Mr. Adam Cunningham, Muncie Burris Science Teacher Mrs. Amy Miller, Indiana Academy Assistant Lecturer of English Mr. David Haynes along with Shafer Leadership Academy Executive Director Mitch Isaacs serve as the staff team.
What Do Previous Participants Say?
Every year we survey the students and families involved with the program. Our program is consistently ranked as highly impactful by students and their families.
Registration for the 2023 – 2024 program is now closed.