Learning to Lead
The goal of this program is to explore the dynamics of leading groups. Through experiential learning, students will gain insight on the relevance of what it means to be a leader on campus and the surrounding community of Muncie. In this two semester experience, students will be placed into a group that includes students from two local schools. We will accept 15 Muncie Central students and 15 Burris Laboratory School / Indiana Academy students.
- Discover their leadership skills, learn new skills, and lead each other.
- Explore proven leadership practices while working in a group to identify a social issue that is prevalent on their school campus and/or Muncie community.
- Attend a retreat, multiple group project sessions and workshops in which the theme of group leadership will be discussed.
- Work to complete a group service project over the course of an academic year.
- Make friends and have fun!
In the fall students will be asked to create a proposal for a problem you want to solve. In the spring student groups will come together to actually solve the problem and then report on their success.
Click here to see a recap of last year’s program.
Most meetings will take place at the Innovation Connector (1208 W White River Blvd), with a few sessions conducted over Zoom. Light snacks will be provided during every in person meeting. Lunch will be provided during the Opening Retreat.
The program begins in September 2022 and concludes April 2023 with a reception for students and their families.
7:00 – 9:00 PM at the Innovation Connector
- Friday, January 27th – Teambuilding Field Trip (Tentative)
- Monday, January 30th – Model the Way
- Monday, February 6th – Inspire a Shared Vision
- Monday, February 13th- Group Work Night
- Monday, February 20th – Challenge the Process
- Monday, February 27th– Group Work Night
- Monday, March 13th – Enable Others to Act
- Monday, March 27th- Encourage the Heart
- Monday, April 3rd – Group Work Night
- Monday, April 10th – Presentations
- Monday, April 17th – Recognition Reception – North Church Venue
Who’s In Charge?
This program is a collaboration between Ball State University Teachers College, Muncie Central, Muncie Burris, and Shafer Leadership Academy.
What Do Previous Participants Say?
Every year we survey the students and families involved with the program. Our program is consistently ranked as highly impactful by students and their families.
Click here to see feedback from last year’s students and families!
Registration is now closed for the 2022 – 2023 academic year.
Contact Mitch Isaacs with questions.