Learning to Lead
The goal of this program is to explore the dynamics of leading groups. Through experiential learning, students will gain insight on the relevance of what it means to be a leader on campus and the surrounding community of Muncie. In this two semester experience, students will be placed into a group that includes students from two local schools. We will accept 15 Muncie Central students and 15 Burris Laboratory School students.
- Discover their leadership skills, learn new skills, and lead each other.
- Explore proven leadership practices while working in a group to identify a social issue that is prevalent on their school campus and/or Muncie community.
- Attend a retreat, multiple group project sessions and workshops in which the theme of group leadership will be discussed.
- Work to complete a group service project over the course of an academic year.
- Make friends and have fun!
In the fall students will be asked to create a proposal for a problem you want to solve.
In the spring student groups will come together to actually solve the problem and then report on their success.
The program begins in August 2020 and concludes April 2021 with a reception for students and their families.
All sessions will be conducted via Zoom.
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Monday, January 25th – Model the Way
- Monday, February 1st – Group Work Night
- Monday, February 8th- Challenge the Process
- Monday, February 22nd – Group Work Night
- Monday, March 8th – Inspire a Shared Vision & Enable Others to Act
- Monday, March 15th – Group Work Night
- Monday, March 29th- Encourage the Heart
- Monday, April 5th – Group Work Night
- Monday, April 12th – Presentations
- Monday, April 19th – Recognition Reception
Who’s In Charge?
This program is a collaboration between Ball State University Teachers College, Muncie Central, Muncie Burris, and Shafer Leadership Academy.
Muncie Central Social Studies Teacher Mr. Adam Cunningham, Muncie Burris Science Teacher Mrs. Amy Miller along with Shafer Leadership Academy Executive Director Mitch Isaacs serve as the staff team.