Learning to Lead
The goal of this program is to explore the dynamics of leading groups. Through experiential learning, students will gain insight on the relevance of what it means to be a leader on campus and the surrounding community of Muncie. In this two semester experience, students will be placed into a group that includes students from two local schools. We will accept 15 Muncie Central students and 15 Burris Laboratory School students.
- Discover their leadership skills, learn new skills, and lead each other.
- Explore proven leadership practices while working in a group to identify a social issue that is prevalent on their school campus and/or Muncie community.
- Attend a retreat, multiple group project sessions and workshops in which the theme of group leadership will be discussed.
- Work to complete a group service project over the course of an academic year.
- Make friends and have fun!
In the fall students will be asked to create a proposal for a problem you want to solve. In the spring student groups will come together to actually solve the problem and then report on their success.
Click here to see the student projects from 2020 – 2021.
The program begins in September 2021 and concludes April 2022 with a reception for students and their families.
- September 10, 2021, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (Camp Adventure) Gathering / Retreat
- September 13, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Innovation Connector) Learning About You
- September 20, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Innovation Connector) Discovering Issues
- September 27, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Innovation Connector) Setting Expectations & Sharing Issues
- October 4th 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Innovation Connector) Conflict and Selecting Your Issue
- October 18th 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (via Zoom) Pitch Your Issue
- October 25th 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (via Zoom) Mission Statement and Project Goals
- November 1st 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Utilizing Your Resources
- November 8th 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (via Zoom) To-Do’s and Timelines
- November 15th 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Innovation Connector) Group Worknight
- November 22nd 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. (Innovation Connector) Pitch Proposal
The full fall semester agenda is available here.
The Muncie Youth Leadership program is a highly interactive and engaging opportunity that requires physical contact with others.
Due to the close quarters needed, we are asking all participants that are involved to either be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or wear a mask during all in person activities.
This is a safety precaution so that we can guarantee a quality experience for those that wish to participate in this program.
Who’s In Charge?
This program is a collaboration between Ball State University Teachers College, Muncie Central, Muncie Burris, and Shafer Leadership Academy.
What Do Previous Participants Say?
Every year we survey the students and families involved with the program. Our program is consistently ranked as highly impactful by students and their families.
Click here to see last year’s feedback!