Learning to Lead
The goal of this program is to explore the dynamics of leading groups. Through experiential learning, students will gain insight on the relevance of what it means to be a leader on campus and the surrounding community of Tipton. In this two semester experience, students will be placed into a group that includes students from two local schools. We will accept 15 Tipton High School students and 15 Tri Central High School students.
- Discover their leadership skills, learn new skills, and lead each other.
- Explore proven leadership practices while working in a group to identify a social issue that is prevalent on their school campus and/or Muncie community.
- Attend a retreat, multiple group project sessions and workshops in which the theme of group leadership will be discussed.
- Work to complete a group service project over the course of an academic year.
- Make friends and have fun!
In the fall students will be asked to create a proposal for a problem you want to solve. In the spring student groups will come together to actually solve the problem and then report on their success.
Most meetings will take place at the Tipton County Foundation (1020 W Jefferson St, Tipton). Light snacks will be provided during every in person meeting. Lunch will be provided during the Opening Retreat.
The program begins in September 2022 and concludes April 2023 with the completion of group projects.
- August 29, 7:00 – 8:00 pm Information Night, for students and families to meet the staff and learn more about the program. (Suggested, but not required.)
- September 9, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Gathering / Retreat
- September 12, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Learning About You
- September 19, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Discovering Issues
- September 26, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Setting Expectations & Sharing Issues
- October 3, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Conflict and Selecting Your Issue
- October 10, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Pitch Your Issue
- October 24 , 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Mission Statement and Project Goals
- October 31, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Utilizing Your Resources
- November 7, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. To-Do’s and Timelines
- November 14, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Group Worknight
- November 21, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Pitch Proposal
- December 6, 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Closing Ceremony, location TBD
Who’s In Charge?
This program is a collaboration between The Tipton County Chamber of Commerce, Tipton Community Schools, Tri-Central Community Schools, and Shafer Leadership Academy.
One staff member from Tri Central and one staff member from Tipton High School, along with Shafer Leadership Academy Facilitator Ted Ward, will serve as the staff team.
Want to Learn More?
Attend the Information Night on Monday, August 31st from 7:00 – 8:00 PM at Tipton County Foundation (1020 W Jefferson St, Tipton).